Sunday, January 30, 2011

Student's being a blessing

The past few weeks we have been challenging our students to be a blessing to the people in their lives.  This started when Reggie McNeal spoke at Ward a few weeks ago about being a people of blessing.  Below are a few of the stories I have received.  I have changed names and some other possible identifying features of the stories, but nothing that impacts the story itself.  Enjoy and be inspired…

I asked one of my teachers today… she was completely surprised. I asked if there was anything I could pray for her about specifically and she started tearing up. She said her brother just died from cancer a few weeks ago, and her sister just relapsed (breast cancer) and her other sister has just been diagnosed with lymphoma. She said she has been really struggling because she doesn't want to lose any more family to cancer. Then everyone sitting around me (even the people who don't necessarily like her) started comforting her. I told her I'd pray for her and her family, gave her a hug and all that. Just thought I’d let you know!

I told a teacher in Language Arts class about what our church is doing to bless people.  I asked if I could pray for something for her. She asked me to pray for a family whose father had died. When I was talking to her, I felt God was there. She was really positive after we talked. She seemed encouraged. She said their family was also on her prayer list.

Truth be told, not every story worked out so well.  But, it’s not so much the result that I care about, it’s the willingness of our students to take a step… Here is a story of a ninth grade girl being faithful.

I asked my 3rd hour teacher if I could pray for her, she made a startled sound, said "Oh. Yeah sure." gave a nervous laugh and walked away.

Yesterday the students did not have school in Livonia or Northville districts, so we had them at the church for pizza and dodgeball.  I asked one of our ninth grade boys what he had done this week to be a blessing and he told me that he shoveled his neighbor’s driveway and sidewalks.  He told me he did it on his own, and he didn’t tell his mom, he just did it. 

I could tell you stories of students praying for waitress esand co-workers and stories of students stepping out in faith.  In my six years and counting in Ward student ministries these two weeks of watching our students learn to become people of blessing have been the most inspiring that I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment