Thursday, January 6, 2011

House Church

Over the next 5 months Lara and I have a unique opportunity; we get to be part of a new house church while remaining at Ward.  This house church is a result of a training program that Lara and I are in along with seven others.  Together the 9 of us will meet and discover how to be the church when you strip away the money, the titles and the traditions.  (A house church is a term for a small church usually 8-15 people that gather together without paid staff and a building and operate more like a family than a traditional church would ie everyone participates, everyone is needed and everyone knows each other.)  It will be a stretching experience to say the least and we are so excited to be a part of it.
I am also going to remain at Ward through this time.  Because of my position at Ward and that it does not conclude till the end of summer I will remain beyond active at Ward.  This juxtaposition of Mega church and House church is what I will be writing about most frequently.  I am sure that there are things that I will learn in the house church that will cause me to rethink all that I have learned.  I am also convinced that there are things about being in a mega church that will shine brighter to me as a result.  It is my deepest hope that Lara and I grow to appreciate both of these forms of church in a new way as a result of this new endeavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment